Sunday 8 May 2016

Week 4 - Cult Media


An example of my own engagement with cult media relates to the comedy TV show Friends. I watch Friends on Netflix and follow fan accounts on Instagram, which post funny video scenes of Friends several times a day. By watching and actively ‘liking’ the video clips that are shared by other fans, I participate in the cult fandom – we are sharing cultural capital.

After the TV shows’ last live broadcast in 2004, 12 years ago, fans still talk about and watch Friends. Official merchandise is still on sale, there are active fan accounts on social media (which didn’t even exist when the last show was broadcast), and there is regularly rumors and a longing for a ‘Friends reunion’. Gwenllian-Jones and Pearson (2004: xvi) talk about how cult TV has become “a meta-genre that caters to intense, interpretive audience practices” affording “fans enormous scope for further interpretation, speculation and invention”. This shows how Friends is a cult media text/fandom.

What attracts me to Friends is probably that it is relatable. I had always refused to watch it before the first time that I did (September 2015), because I thought that it was ‘crap’ – even though I had never watched it before. Friends tells a story of six friends trying to make it in a big city, which is somewhat similar to me. The comedy aspect is also comforting, it’s something that I like to spend my time doing.

The endlessly deferred narrative is something that drew me in, since the first episode I wanted to know if Ross and Rachel would end up together, and they did finally come back together in the last episode of the last season. Even when I watched the series for the second time, I was still hooked on the endlessly deferred narrative. I think that if there was no endlessly deferred narrative then I would not have continued watching for 9 seasons. There has to be something that I want to go back for.

The endlessly deferred narrative didn’t even end when the show did. Did Phoebe and Mike have children? Did Ross and Rachel get married? Did Joey go to Chandler and Monica’s every year to watch the Superbowl? We’ll never know. Perhaps because the endlessly deferred narrative was never solved, it means that there was never a death of the show. It continues to live and be a cult text because of something called hyperdiegesis. Hills (2002:104) talks about how hyperdiegesis is “the creation of a vast and detailed narrative space, only a fraction of which is ever directly seen or encountered within the text, but which nevertheless appears to operate according to principles of internal logic and extension”. Cult fans can create their own narratives and theories for the show, and as Jenkins (1992) said, this world rewards re-reading due to richness and depth. Interestingly, as a cult fan of Friends, I have never created my own narrative or theories for the show, as I like to enjoy the text as it is, and as it was meant to be. This is because I don’t want to take anything away from the creators of the show, I like being a consumer and an audience member – I don’t want to be a part of fan labour.

 

 

 

References

Gwenllian-Jones, S. and Pearson, R.E. (eds.) (2004) Cult television. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.

Hills, M (2002) Fan cultures. London: Routledge.

Jenkins, H. (1992) Textual poachers: television fans and participatory cultures. London: Routledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment