Sunday 8 May 2016

Week 8 - Digital Fandom


I have been participating in online interaction with Casey Neistat’s daily vlogs (video logs) on YouTube for about a year. My online interaction is limited to simply watching Casey Neistat’s videos, and liking his photographs on Instagram. I think that my personality type limits my fan practice, as I would never produce online fan materials or talk to other fans over the internet. It’s not in my nature.

As Casey Neistat’s videos are only available online, on YouTube, I think that it easily facilitates others producing fan materials, in comparison to if his videos were shown on TV, for example. GIFs can easily be created of his videos and shared on Tumblr, fan videos can easily be made, and montages of Casey’s videos can be made easily due to technology and accessibility for fans.

Jenkins (2006:2) describes convergence culture as “the flow of content across multiple media platforms”. With this definition in mind, I do not think that there is any convergence when it comes to Casey’s media texts – all of them are on new media. However, Casey did have a HBO show in 2008, 7 years before he started uploading vlogs to YouTube, and as Jenkins (2006:16) argues “convergence is a process, not an endpoint” then there is indeed convergence within Casey’s media texts.   

Casey has also had a few videos go viral, and this means that they have been broadcast on TV and wrote about in newspapers. This again, is convergence. Because of the internet, it means that audiences who view Casey’s videos on traditional media because they have gone viral, can easily find it online. From there they can comment on his videos, Instagrams, or tweet him, and as Bennett (2014) argues, this is seemingly a more direct and instantaneous connection between the object of fandom and fans.

Casey’s videos even encourage more traditional based fan materials to be produced. Once every week Casey will do a ‘mail time’ episode, where he opens mail that has been sent to him from companies and by fans. This encourages fans to create something good so that it can be shown in the vlog.

In terms of offline relationships with other fans, my boyfriend and I like to talk about Casey’s vlogs face to face and we enjoy watching them together. What we like about Casey can be summed up in three points:

1.                  We like New York, and Casey lives in New York. He represents New York in a way that we have never seen before

2.                  He has an inspirational work ethic – he produces vlogs every day and also runs a new technology start-up business

3.                  His cinematography is incredible, and above par on what other vlogs are like by other YouTube content creators.

Interestingly, my boyfriend enjoys the vlogs more when Casey is out and about doing things, rather than sitting in his office telling a story – I enjoy both, however.

I cannot compare my offline relationship or identities with my online ones, as I don’t have an online identity relating to my affiliation with Casey, and I do not interact with other fans of Casey online. If I did, I would like to think that my offline and online practices would be the same.

References

Bennett, L. (2014) ‘Tracing textual poachers: Reflections on the development of fan studies and digital fandom’, The Journal of Fandom Studies, 2(1), pp. 5–20. doi: 10.1386/jfs.2.1.5_1.

 

Jenkins, H. (2006) Convergence culture: Where old and new media collide. New York, NY: New York University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment